Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Sharing is caring...

I usually tend to blog only when I have something profound or entertaining to say.  Hence the reason why there's so much time between entries.  ha.  I don't usually blog about my personal issues...well unless it's about sex.  ;)  And most people have sex, so I don't feel like I'm sharing something so deep.  This is why you rarely see an Asian on a talk show like Jerry Springer or Maury.  We aren't the sharing type.  I think it's in the blood.

But I'm going to share now.  It's not much, so please feel free to skip this whole thing and look at old pictures of my kids.

Last Christmas while we were in Colorado, my grandma got pretty sick and was hospitalized.  When my mom called me, she was already in a coma and not expected to survive.  Miraculously she came out of it and got better pretty quickly.  She even made it home before we got back from our trip.  Since then, she's been slowly declining in health.  That said, she's still SUPER stubborn and thinks that she can keep doing all of her daily activities without consequences.

This past summer she was hospitalized again when she had to have surgery for some type of stomach thing.  She was in a rehab facility for about a month or so.  She, of course, hated it...

In the last few months she's gotten a lot worse.  She has a whole list of ailments that have just gotten a lot more difficult for her to accept.  She completely depressed and it's so sad to witness.

I'm rambling.  You don't even really need to know all of that stuff.  *sigh*

On Friday night I got home with the girls at around 6pm.  My mom met me at the door and said, "Um I need some help."  I knew right away it had to do with my grandma.  I set the girls in front of the tv and went into the bedroom.  My grandma was halfway on the bed and had wet through her De.pends.  My mom was trying to get her on the bed, but my grandma was fighting her, thinking that she was falling.  We kept trying to get her to turn over so we could change her, but she was also shaking really hard saying that she was cold.  She was burning up.  My mom left the room to call my aunt and I just held on to her tightly.  We had gotten her on the bed, just not on her back.  Then she started vomiting and I was so scared that she would aspirate it.  I called for my mom to help me get her on her side.

Because of the vomiting, my mom called the ambulance.  Rebeca had gotten home in the meantime and took the girls downstairs so they wouldn't be around all the paramedic chaos.  Before they wheeled her away, I had the girls come up to say good-bye and get well soon.  Just so there would be some type of closure in case she did die.  I didn't want her to just suddenly be gone.  They were fine, but of course Isa keeps asking when she'll be home.

She's still in the hospital and my mom and her sisters are looking at long term care facilities.  Something they said they'd never do.  But Grams needs 24 hour care and they all understand that this is what's best for everyone.  My grandma is a super stubborn lady.  Even with the sores on her legs, her shortness of breath, and a few falls, she still thinks she can do things she's not supposed to.  Like get laundry and climb stairs.  Grr.  She doesn't drink enough water like she's supposed to, doesn't use her walker or cane and just doesn't heed any type of doctor's instructions.  It's frustrating because then she'll complain about how horrible she feels after she's overdone it.  *sigh*

My mom is super stressed out and we're trying to help as much as possible.  My mom is another typical asian and doesn't really communicate her stress.  She's just breaking out into a terrible rash and her eye is twitching.  So weird because that's how Rebeca knows I'm stressed- my eye twitches like I'm getting tasered!  :)

I don't even know why I'm writing this all down.  BUT 2 weeks ago I felt some sort of odd urgency about the whole thing.  I made sure that we took a picture of Grams and the greats.





So that's what's going on over here.  Enough sharing for one night.

Here's some cute pictures from the other day.  Kinda like an "ooooh shiny" disregard any unhappiness from above.  *grin*



5 comments:

Next in Line said...

That is such a special picture of Grandma and the greats!

It is really hard trying to figure out how to help sometimes. I remember it with my grandma.

Piles of cuteness in those kiddies!

Kirsten said...

That is a precious picture. Sorry things are rough with grams. My grandpa is going through very similar stuff right now. Its not easy.

K J and the kids said...

I'm so sorry guys. I feel bad for everyone involved. How hard to want to do things. To have the mind to do things. but a body that is failing.
I can't imagine the frustration. And then to be watching it happen. To understand the consequences. To worry about the future. That has to be SO frustrating too.
Big hugs. I hope that whatever happens with her...whether she miraculously recovers and come home again or takes up residency at a care center. I hope she's at peace with it. I hope for peace in the decisions that need to be made by everybody else as well.

CUTE pictures. Thanks for the eye candy.

Jersey said...

heavy sigh. im tempted to use this comment as an opportunity to yell at you for making me find out about all of this via your blog. but in reality, that would just be my jersey way of saying, "ooooh something shiny!".

im sending you all tons of positive energy. shout out if you need anything. maybe you can set up an akward video chat between me and reb. thats always worth a good laugh.

AdventuresInBabyMaking said...

:/ so sorry to hear about your g'ma. i hate that we have to get old.

sweet pics, tho! :)