I can't believe I forgot to blog about this little incident. I'm not even going to rehash what actually happened. It makes me tired to even think about it. But here's my FB status that I posted for a couple of hours that evening. You'll get the gist.
"Attention teachers- If you have a kid in your class who has two moms please don't A) Make it seem like an inconvenience to make two Mothers Day gifts and B) Don't ask one mom if she wants a Fathers Day gift.
To call into question my Mother-ness is to attack me at my core. It shreds my heart and may even make me cry. Something I try never to do."
Maya's teacher. My co-worker. It was not a great afternoon. I know she didn't mean it in a hurtful way, but it still stung. She's my mom's age and obviously ignorant so it made it a little easier to forgive. My director had me do a little talk at our staff meeting. It was awkward but also a bit therapeutic to spew some of the frustrations I've built up.
I hate crying.
5 comments:
i wish people would stop and think before they act. want me to come over there and lay the smack down?
Two words for you: bitch slap.
That's all. (oh, and hugs!)
I think the best thing you can do is to keep talking. I guess there are those who wouldn't even think about these facts. Syd's teacher without asking gave us 2 cards this year. I love her.
Yuck. I am really sorry to read about this. I am so sorry that someone made you feel badly....totally ridiculous. Hang in there, babe.
Ugh, I am so not looking forward to those days. Sorry you had that experience. But hurray you for kick ass zumba-ing down a sports bra size!
Post a Comment