Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Trip Down Memory Lane...


I don’t really have a story, but I do have something to say.  Ever since coming across the Violence Unsilenced blog, I’ve been Remembering.  Going back to times in college, to my relationship with my ex-gf.  Remembering instances where I could have been in danger, but I never really was.  Why, with statistics so high, was I never…

I have something to say about the way that I viewed myself.  My worth.  My rights as a woman.  I have to write this out, this buzzing in my head, so that I can see it all before me.  Who I was.  Who I want my girls to NEVER be. 

I may come across as very…flippant when I talk about my sexual history.  It’s very easy for me to be an open book when it comes to details of my life.  I don’t give a fuck, really.  But when it comes down to how I feel/felt about those situations, it’s a lot harder for me to talk about. 

But, I will need to.  Because I want my daughters to know that they don’t EVER have to put some dude’s needs/wants/dick before their own spirits.  How I’ll ever talk to them about this, I don’t know.  But I’ll start here.

I have never been raped.  I want to get that clear right now.  I’m not a survivor.  I am definitely NOT putting myself in the same league as the women from Violence Unsilenced.  They are true rockstars.  I was just stupid. 

The night I lost my v-card.  We all remember that non-story right?  Okay, a few details I left out.  Mostly, okay entirely, because I’m embarrassed.  As we started…you know.  I changed my mind.  Only I couldn’t verbalize it.  All I kept saying was “Okay…okay…okay...”  I was thinking “okay, enough. Stop.” But it didn’t come out that way.  Of course there was no way for him to know what I was thinking.  So I laid there and let him do what he was doing.  I remember someone knocking on the fogged up windows, the sweat from his hair falling on my face.  And when he was done, I asked him “why me?”  And, his response?  “Because you have the biggest tits of any girl at this party.”  Yay.  I’ve never told anyone that. 

*******************************************************************

A date who drove all the way from Wyoming.  Before I left, one of my roommates gave me a knife hidden in a lipstick.  It was a blind date after all.  We went to a movie and before the lights even went off he was pawing me.  We “made out” during the entire movie, him trying to put my hand on his dick, me trying to keep him off of me.  And the whole time, me thinking that this is something I had to do.  He had driven so far…and I didn’t want to be a Bitch.  He tried to spend the night but I blamed my roommates and made him drive back north. 

*******************************************************************

Huge rugby tournament in Montana.  Sitting in a diner with my teammates.  An older man walked up behind me, spun me around, kissed me and stuck his tongue down my throat.  And then he walked away.  I remember that he tasted of cigarette smoke.  

Later during The Party, a HUGE rugger from New Zealand tried to get me to come to his hotel room.  All I wanted was his t-shirt.  I said no, knowing what that would imply.  Even in my drunken state, I knew I wouldn’t be able to fight him off. 

That same night, a guy declared that I was his “make out buddy” for the weekend and proceeded to kiss me and grope me all night.  I was super drunk and high, but knew that I was not the one in charge.  I just tried to keep my friends in sight.  I was so lucky to have his attention.

On the last day, we played a quick game of 7s rugby with a men’s team from Canada.  We decided to play in our “underwear”.  Thinking we were so smart, we played in our boxers and sports bras.  They played in their tighty whiteys.  I spent most of the game yelling, “That’s not the ball, you fuck!!”

Because I didn’t want to seem like a Bitch (again) I laughed all of this off.  I didn’t think I could say “no” or “stop” or “fuck off”.  I didn’t feel like I actually had the rights over my own body. 

Even though we were ever vigilant with each other, one of us did get raped that weekend.   Although she wouldn’t tell us until much later. 

*****************************************************************

Last merry example of what a lucky idiot I am. 

Rugby party.  I had been drinking all day.  At one point a friend commented that I was the perfect height for a blow job.  I went to punch his leg, but missed and hit him straight in his crotch.  He went down and I got a pitcher of beer poured over my head.  I also had to “shoot the boot” which means to chug a shoe full of beer. 

Later that night I was puking in the sand.  I was laying there a little away from the party, and I heard a small group of people approach me.  There were about 4 of them and they gathered in a circle around me.  They were laughing and talking, but I couldn’t really make out what they were saying.  Then one got down on the ground and got behind me.  I just remember hearing his pants slapping the back of mine.  Then more laughter.  I was completely aware of what was happening, but couldn’t move.

Then I heard the voice of my friend.  She told them to get away from me and told me to get up and that she was taking me home.  They laughed and said, “We’ll take her home!”  And I remember saying, “Please don’t let them take me.”  Of course she didn’t.  Lucky idiot. 

I never told anyone what they did, or what I thought they were going to do.  It was my fault.  I was too drunk and obviously not responsible for my well being. 

*******************************************************************

And, of course, I’ve never told anyone how I felt about all of these situations. 

I felt like I couldn’t say no.  I felt like to protest would be being a Bitch.  I felt like maybe those were my only chances to be with a guy.  I felt like I was too ugly and too fat to ever attract anyone, so I should just take what I could get.  (That’s probably what I thought the most.)  I thought that in all these cases, I was the one to blame.  That I had put myself in these situations so I deserved everything that happened.  And maybe that’s partially true. 

But now that I’m older, I know that no one has the right to touch my body without my consent.  That no matter if I’m lying naked in the middle of the sidewalk, I still have ownership over my body.  Logically I know that, but it still is a battle inside my head. 

How do I instill the truth in Isa and Maya?  That they are the only ones who can make decisions about their bodies.  That sex should be a wonderful, beautiful thing and that they should own that as well.  How do I instill, in them, the power to say “no” or even “yes”?  It’s so frightening, to think that they might turn out like me.  To not know their worth, to not have a voice.  I want so much more for them. 








5 comments:

K J and the kids said...


I have struggled with this very same question. You always want better for your kids. For them to learn from your mistakes. Thing is...they will have to make their own mistakes. The one thing I have always come back to....it was my Oprah ah ha moment. I remember watching a show about self esteem. I remember them saying that we compliment and compliment our kids endlessly trying to instill how wonderful they are so that they will love themselves. That's not how they get self esteem. They get it from our example. And you sound just like me....hard on yourself. If your girls hear you talk about your self in a negative way...they will talk about themselves that way. They will feel it is true just like you feel it's true.

HARDEST THING EVER is to try and be positive about myself. ESPECIALLY when someone compliments me. OMG I immediately brush it off, deny and start complaining about what is truthfully wrong with me. and then I look down and I see my little girl standing several feet from me....in ear shot....and I think...SHIT ! I fucked that up. I need to say THANK YOU ! Don't you LOVE these pants. I got them on sale.
Or. even just thanks.

We all know that even what we say on the outside isn't always the way we FEEL on the inside. So I guess that we can only hope and pray that as confident as they are now. They will remain that way on the inside later.

I'm lucky to have Jan for that too. She just doesn't give a damn. :) I think it TOTALLY helps to not be all absorbed in looks and shit. My mother was/is just like me. She hates everything about herself. She ALWAYS told me nice things about me. Still does. and I, reply to her, just like she does to herself.
I think there's truth in it.
Make that change now !

K J and the kids said...

Not that my last comment wasn't long enough....but because you and I are tight like that....I thought I'd also share a little secret that I've been waiting to use on my kids.

Point and laugh. I'm going to point and laugh every time they are naked. Make them feel absolutely horrible about their bodies. THAT WAY...they'll be too embarrassed to EVER let ANYONE see them naked.

Of course it will probably take years of therapy to get over the damage...but by then they'll be old enough to handle the situation more appropriately.

(sigh)

it's always good to have a back up plan.

Rachael said...

I have never read your blog before. I stumbled across it via another blogger that you commented on. I am glad that I have stumbled onto this particular blog post. I know nothing about you and yet, I feel so close to you. You described my whole youth in a matter of moments. I felt the same way you did and I got myself into similar situations.

I have been struggling since we found out what we were having with how to explain to my daughter how to handle these things. Her self-esteem, her self worth, her sexuality and being proud of who she is.

I'm not sure I am the proper person to explain to her that her worth doesn't depend on a man .. or a woman for that matter.

Anyway, you are not alone. Thank you for sharing your deeply personal story. It resonated with me.

Kirsten said...

i thought this was relevant: http://i.imgur.com/QIxwX.jpg

Stacey R. said...

So, here's my two cents as a mom to only one boy. While it is imperative that we teach our daughters, nieces, students, friends' children, cousins, women of the world that they can and should say "yes" or "no" or "not now" or "I changed my mind" or any combination of the above, I think the following is also important and is what I will teach my son (along with his father):

When you are with a partner, the absence of "no" does not imply "yes." I don't care if it changes the mood or is awkward, but I expect my son to hear the word, "Yes" clearly and purposefully before he ever has any form of sexual contact with a partner. If you can't ask that, you shouldn't be where you are.

So, yes, teaching our girls is imperative...but teaching our boys is also so very important. We have to teach our sons, nephews, brothers, children's sons that women are to be respected and honored and treated purposefully.

Just my 2 cents ;)