Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hawai'i No Ka Oi


There’s a saying here in the islands, “Lucky we live Hawai'i!”.  People use it often and it’s usually apropos to numerous situations.  This past weekend I had a “lucky we live Hawai'i” kind of day.

One of my friends organized a reef walk for Monday morning.  We met at a beach on the westside of the island.  Low tide was to be at 9:00am so we all arrived at 8:30 sharp armed with scoop nets, buckets, reef shoes and plenty of sunscreen.  The girls had an amazing time and I was so thrilled that this type of activity could be a part of their weekend.  And even more so that it could be repeated!!  *sigh* 

We soon found a long jelly-ish “thing”.  We’re still not too sure what it was.  Sort of looked like a fireworm, but seemed too long and gelatinous.  Anyone know? 
 

Not too long into the morning two of the older boys, around 9, came bounding over the reef.  “We found a WALRUS!!!  A WALRUS!!!  Or maybe a SEAL!!!”  As everyone headed over to see the “Walrus”, Maya and I brought up the rear.  I held her hand as we made our way over the rocky and slippery reef.  She was quiet for a little while, concentrating on finding solid footing.  Finally in almost a whisper she said, “It’s not a walrus.  Walrus live in cold.  Like on ice.”  *smile* 



 

Creatures were abundant and we tried to capture as many as we could to examine and then release.  Isa was not quite as brave as Maya when it came to holding things like Brittle Stars or sea urchins, but she had a wonderful time looking cute in her swimsuit and bossing around the boys. 


Soon after this picture she threw that poor sea urchin down and actually squealed.  *sigh* 

Maya and a Brittle Star.  I tried to get her to put it on her head. 
 

Pretty reef fish.
 

A very huge sea cucumber.  I used to hold them and squeeze the water out, but wasn't brave enough this time. 
 

She wanted to keep this as a pet. 
 
 

We are so very lucky to live in Hawaii.  

4 comments:

K J and the kids said...

People pay, oh ok fuck it, I pay lots of money to experience 1/2 of what your girls got to experience. You are very lucky to live in Hawaii.

That wormish looking jelly tentacly looking thing freaks my shit out. Part of the reason I don't like to go in non chlorinated waters so much.

Everything you saw and caught. people eat. That's another reason I'm a non sea food eater.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are wonderful! We used to spend time combing tide pools in Mexico. I'm sad my daughter doesn't have that same, regular chance but I'm excited to take her to see a tide pool someday!

Unknown said...

How awesome!?! lol I would have been scared of EVERYTHING in these pics! lol

Looks like you all had such an amazing day.

Jill said...

I want to go to there.