Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Into the Wild

I am so behind in my blogging...

Although I'm a lesbian, campfire certified and I worked a few seasons at The Nature Company, I'm not one to "Camp".  I completely adore the IDEA of camping.  I really, really do!!  I love to picture myself out in the woods, sporting a North Fac.e fleece vest with my axe at the ready.  I want to fish for my dinner and cook it over a lovely fire whilst crickets chirp in the background.  *sigh*  S'mores, a nice cozy tent, falling asleep to the sound of the great outdoors.  Yes!!  But then there's the reality.  I like to be clean. 

Rebeca LOVES  to camp.  She's one that would totally be fine not showering for days at a time.  *shudder*  She recalls family camping trips with misty eyes.  (My family went camping too, but only a handful of times.)  While we lived in Colorado we even went so far as to buy a tent and some nice sleeping bags.  (I love all the accessories too!!)  The only time I ever slept in that tent was in our living room with our windows open.  haha  

Since we've moved to Hawaii, Rebeca has been itching to go camping.  She wants the girls to have these experiences and, of course, so do I.  But is it really necessary for me to participate??  Can't it be just a "Rebeca and the girls" thing??  I guess not.  

In July a friend of ours invited us to go pseudo camping.  I say pseudo because we were in the vicinity of a beachhouse that had a shower and indoor plumbing.  We borrowed a tent from a friend and unearthed some vintage sleeping bags that my mom has had since I was a kid.  OLD SKOOL! 

Something I learned from this experience?  I am like the Princess and the Pea.  I mean if you look at me, I look pretty rugged (ha), but in actuality, I'm sensitive.  I had a bruise on my rib cage from sleeping on the hard hard ground.  *sniff*  Other than that, it was a pretty good time.  The girls FREAKED OUT when it was time for them to go to bed, but they had a blast otherwise. 

Next time I'm taking a hotel room. 



 
The traditional nighttime crab hunting
 
 



S'mores

Our home for the night
 



8 comments:

K J and the kids said...

So so proud of you. I will be sending you your Lesbian Camping Badge princess.

To be honest.....I have camped my whole life. Love it. But I'm a little spoiled now. I need running water, a microwave and electricity all wrapped up in a beautifully hard coated trailer to keep out the elements.
(sigh)
I blame it on having kids.

kari said...

Great pictures!

Kirsten said...

GAH! I RUINED REBECA'S LIFE!

CJ said...

Quit yer bitchin'! YOU come camp in Wisconsin and I will suffer through camping in Hawaii!

:)

More Than Words said...

Haha, so high maintenance. Deodorant and wet wipes… you’ll be fine. ;)

AdventuresInBabyMaking said...

Good thing you slept in the tent, girl, bc otherwise you would've had your lez card revoked. ;)

V and I have done plenty of camping and backpacking around the west & Alaska. There's always a shower somewhere - you usually just have to pay a few bucks. I have to go back to Alaska for work next year and we're thinking of taking the kids along for some Alaksan camping. Nothing crazy back country, though; just in the park campgrounds.

Anonymous said...

Aloha from Canada
Looks like a great life for you 4.
Bspector@rogers.blackberry.net

StephLove said...

My wife takes each kid camping once a year, the girl in the late spring or early summer and the boy in the late summer or early fall. The fall trip is next weekend. I stay home. I just don't like sleeping on the ground.