Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Smooth Operator


Now that marriage equality has come to Hawaii, it seems like it’s all Rebeca and I talk about.  When? Where?  Who?  And I’m pretty damn sick of it. 

Ever since I can remember I’ve dreamed about my wedding day.  I’ve always wanted a humangous wedding and party to follow.  The person going down the aisle with me was always a blur. 

Then I met Rebeca.  And for the last 13 years I’ve wanted to marry her.  I knew I would marry her. 

Rebeca has never cared about having a wedding.  She doesn’t like attention on her.  She panics at the thought of people looking at her. 

Her family is hugely supportive and in Colorado.  Mine are more lukewarm, and here. 

She is willing to have “something” for me.  I am NOT willing to throw her into a panic attack. 

Like I said, sick of talking about it. 

We’ve discussed getting new rings.  I feel that it’s an expense we don’t need. 

A few weeks ago she saw a ring that she really loved.  I said, “No way!!”  But of course I went back later and got it. 

I hid it in my car for about a week wondering how I’d give it to her.  I’ve always said that I DON’T propose, I get proposed to.  Haha  And since I wasn’t getting my ridiculously big celebration, I told Rebeca she had to at least do that.  I know, so romantic right?  It’s not like she didn’t know my answer.

On Saturday the 8th we started the morning a little grouchy with one another.  Ate a good breakfast which gave us a little happy.  We like food.  Then we decided to go to Kaena Point.  We go pretty often to look for whales during season and so the girls can play in the tide pools. 

It came to me that this was the perfect place to give Rebeca her ring.  It was one of “our” places and perhaps it would pull her out of her funk.  J  Isa, Maya and I went ahead to look for shells as Rebeca stood on the top of a hill looking for whales.  Isa came running up with a fantastic opihi shell.  It was pretty big and intact.
 
 

I put the ring in the shell and called Rebeca over as she came down the hill.  At first she was grumpy with a “so what?” look on her face.  Then she realized what it was. 

And we weren’t grouchy any more. 
 
 

 

 

 

7 comments:

Kirsten said...

You are so romantical! I asked Alex when we were driving on the freeway and we kinda went "yeah we should do that" I do love that you did it your way.

Anonymous said...

So lovely!!!! I totally get the not wanting anyone to look at me AND expense we don't need. Well...getting you doesn't help much, but I do. I get you.

K J and the kids said...

Oh I love it.
GREAT story.
I even love that she was grumpy.
Did you get on one knee ?
Did she throw you down right there and make love to you on the beach with the waves crashing around you.
oh, your kids were there huh ?
hmm.
Well, in my mind I might change your story a little bit. It's now my made for TV movie. Mature audiences only "based" on a true story.

More Than Words said...

Awe, that story is the cutest! I love how real you write because in all honesty, as the one who proposed to my now wife, it's a totally nerve racking experience. It isn't until the question is asked and the response is given that the smiles come out and all are giddy.

I'm so very happy for you guys! :)

Dana Salvador said...

It's beautiful!!!

Next in Line said...

Nice work! Very smooth. I love spontaneity of it.

Stacey said...

Great story!!!