Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Iselle and Julio Down by the Schoolyard

or

How Stacy Prepares for a Hurricane


Last week:  Hear about Iselle.  Make mental note to think about preparing.

Sunday:  Spend the day hanging out at home.  Go for a run.  Eat some dinner.  Go to bed. 

Monday:  Go to work.  Sweat a lot.  Think about preparing. 

Tuesday:  Hear about people hoarding water.  Think maybe I should get some.  Go to buy crickets at lunch time.  Buy a case of water as an afterthought.  Proud of my prepping. 

Wednesday:  Hear about how the island is out of bottled water.  Panic slightly.  Go to Kmart after work.  Buy 2 bags of charcoal, 4 cans of tuna and 4 cans of Spaghetti-Os.  (We'll be able to eat for 1 day.)  Bring home 3 empty milk jugs from work.  Get 2 coolers from under the house.  Even prouder of my hurricane preparedness.  Buy 9- 1.5 liters of water from Walgreens. 

Thursday:  Wake up every hour hoping for a call saying that I don't have to go to work.  Have to go to work.  Wait all day for word that school is cancelled for Friday.  Success!!  Take home 4 more empty milk jugs.   

Once home I: 
- fill both coolers with water
- fill all 7 milk jugs with water
- put Pops the chameleon under the house for safe keeping
- put all garbage bins under the house
- put all bikes and damn ride on toys under the house
- secured outside glass table
- find all candles in the house
- turn my nose up at my mother and Rebeca's snickering at my water supply (who's gonna be laughing when the water line is shut off??!!) 

When I showered I was still in preparation mode.  Shaved my legs just in case I had to be rescued by a hot paramedic lady. 

At this very minute 8:04pm.  Watching "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" with the fam and eating Nutter Butters and popcorn. 

Hurricane preparedness at its best!! 



3 comments:

Spring said...

Lol... In Florida we just stock up on beer & junk food, except for the northerner a who moved here, they buy milk & bread. What do they do with milk & bread???

Spring said...

Northerers*

Stacy said...

Spring- In Hawaii, people hoard bottled water, Spam, Vienna sausage, toilet paper and gas. Every. Single. Time. lol