For the last 4 years I have been very good about getting my post
in for Blogging for LGBT Families Day.
Until this year. I should have
used the one I wrote on the 31st and been the early, eager beaver
that I normally am.
And now, I’m sitting here with writer’s block trying to figure
out what to write about my gay momness. *crickets chirping*
I’ve had a new job this past year, and my kids aren’t in the
same school with me anymore. With this
comes a whole new type of anonymity. I
don’t have to come out to anyone on a daily basis like I used to. I don’t even know if all of my teachers know
that I’m gay, much less the parents. It’s…interesting.
I almost feel like I can just ride under the radar especially
since my kids aren’t there to hear/see me.
Is that bad? ( I went searching for a "bad lesbian" image. Do you know what kind of stuff came up??????!!!!!!!)
This weekend is Pride and as I’ve said before, it’s super
tiny. Back in the day, Rebeca and I
would make a weekend of it. We’d stay
the night before in Denver, go to the clubs and then party allllllll day
Saturday at the parade and festival. We’d
hook up with our friends, check out the hot women and make out a lot. It was always such a big deal.
Now, not so much. Rebeca
is teaching Saturday school and I would REALLY like to sleep in. But because Isa has been hearing such
negative things lately at school about “gays”, I feel like we need to go.
But what is she going to get out of it? She’ll see about 200 or so gay men and a sprinkling
of women. Hardly any other families like
ours and a ton of drag queens. ( She loooooooooooooooooooooooooooves the queens. Especially since basically she is one.)
Is she going to understand that being gay is a positive thing
from all of this?
Last year when she asked what the parade and festival were for. I answered “Pride”. And she was completely baffled. And so was I.
How do I explain the feeling that Pride used to elicit? The amazing, overwhelming joy of being around
thousands of people who were “like you”.
And what “like you” means.
I wonder what her questions will be this year.
When I first started reading lesbo mommy blogs, there were only
a few. The same ones would show up on
everyone’s feeds and I devoured them like Satis-fries from Burge.r King. They were “like me”!
Now there are gazillions!!!!
It’s amazing and humbling and makes me so damn proud. That is my Pride these days. Seeing families like ours out in the world,
living their lives and making some damn cute babies. With babies comes change. And hope.
And a lot of faith in what our world can become.
Happy Pride Month!


1 comment:
I have much that I'd like to add but then this post would be about me and not about you and I'm working on not doing that :-)
Happy Pride and all that it means to you AND to the children that aren't gay but come from gay families.
Post a Comment