Oh marriage, marriage, marriage. What to say about this whole concept. The other day Rebeca and I made 2 years
legally wed. Or as she said, “2 years of wedded bliss”. Ha. Either she’s been
absent for the last couple years, or so, of our relationship, or she’s in deep
deep deep denial. Deep.
I feel robbed when people ask how long we’ve been
married. When I say 2 years, I’m not
getting the credit for the 15 years before we said, “I do”. We ain’t no
newlyweds for sure. We were already
hardcore into the depths of couple-hood and the chaos of it as well. We had experienced the wonderful, the not so
wonderful and the downright fucked up.
We were seasoned when we decided to make it legal, and honestly weren’t
bright eyed about it at all. It seemed
like it ended up being another box to check in our lives.
So romantic.
Because of this post I went down the rabbit hole of my
blog. I read the entire thing. Laughed at some memories and winced at
others. I felt a little more loving
toward her, but also saw the dysfunction that has brought us to the present
day. We have always been shitty fighters
and only in the last year or so have I changed how I approach and talk to
her. It took a while.
I share an office with a woman who has been married for 13
years. They have two little boys and she’s
one of those whose husband does way less than he should. She comes into work often and just says, “Divorce!!”.
We laugh and talk about how marriage is overrated and too much work if only one
person is doing the work. She talks
about how she’s drawn up the papers before and just left it
passive-aggressively on her computer where he might find it. I talk about how I looked at the prices of
apartments. We both sigh and know that
neither one of us will take that next step.
Why?
Because, as she puts it, “He knows how I like my coffee.”
I get it.
Not taking into account the trauma on our kids or the upheaval
a divorce would cause, I stay because for about 95% of the time, I like
Rebeca. Like genuinely like and want to
be around. It’s that 5% that fucks with my goddamn soul. Because when it’s bad,
it’s horrible. It’s also that 5% that I know is not truly her. It’s the mother fucking anxiety and
depression.
*insidemybrainatanygivenmoment* I don’t want to damage my kids. I can’t afford to be uncoupled. Divorce
seems like a lot of work. I don’t want her to be stressed. I’m worried about
how she’ll handle life. I don’t want to have to tell my mother and her be
secretly pleased about it. I don’t want to be a statistic. I don’t think I have
a really concrete reason to leave. I love the shit out of her. Life
without her wouldn’t make sense. I love our little family. She loves me
entirely and still believes that we’re in it for the long haul. I believe that
working through shit is a possibility. I hold on to hope that things will get
better. I see small changes in her that give me this hope. I don’t want to be the old lecherous lesbian at the bar hitting on millennials
and getting laughed at. Seriously, no
one wants that.
Ugh.
Who knew relationships were this much work? I get drained
even thinking about it. So I try not to, and just float through my day until I
get into bed.
Are you kidding? It’s on my mind always.
What’s the resolution? I have no idea. Just keep working on
what I can control. Keep hoping that she’ll do her Work.
And keep believing in the good that we have. She knows how I like my coffee.
7 comments:
I have no words of wisdom but I wanted to offer words of support. Marriage is fucking hard. It just is. And I know how hard it is when your wife is struggling with depression and anxiety and everything feels like it isn't the way you wanted it to be. There are brighter days and everything goes in ebbs and flows. I hope things start to change for the better--as you said, your communication is improving. Hang in there. You are not alone.
Marriage is hard and I agree with you when I tell people I've been married for almost 4 years...I always add, we were married on our 10 year anniversary. My wife is bipolar and it's hard sometimes, really hard. But when it's low, I remind myself of something my grandmother told me after her and my grandfather celebrated 50 years. "Always remember why that person caught your eye, and why you liked and fell in love with them, that person is always there and you sometimes need to go looking for them. Oh and keep in mind, when you find someone else, after sometime, there will be things about them that piss you off." Noone is perfect....and she does know how I like my coffee.
Hang in there...Leslie
This is incredible and so well written. I nodded my head enthusiastically in agreement the entire read.
Marriage is hard and it takes an effort (by both) every day in someway. Even if just making the other person a cup of coffee.
Thank you for this, truly.
Thank you all for your comments. It helps knowing that someone out there is understanding.
Dude, I say "fuck this" in my head at least once a month, when it comes to dealing with my stubborn Aries wife. She's always right (in her mind). She isn't emotional, at all (and so naturally I barf emotions all over her because of her lack of visible feelings) and her mom drains my soul, so that creates so many problems. We're not the best fighters either and there have been times I've thought about leaving. Heck, 2 weeks ago I went to work with a gym bag full of work clothes because I was sure I needed to stay with my mom for a few days. But when the shit gets too real and too hard, it gives way and gets better. That's just kind of how it's gone these past 11.5 years.
My mom left my dad when I was in the 6th grade and didn't realize that she still loved him and wanted to get back together until 3 years after their divorce, right before he died suddenly of a heart attack. It's been her mission since to teach her kids to stay and work through the hard stuff with our spouses because, as she put it, sometimes you can't change your mind and get back together, because it's just too late. She's always said that if we leave thinking we're going to find someone else who doesn't have their own unique set of annoying traits, bad habits and asshole days, we're lying to ourselves.
Anytime I'm really pissed, I always ask myself, could I live without seeing her everyday and talking to her about everything and smelling her hair and smiling when I hear her truck pull into the driveway? The answer is always, no. I would be lost without her.
I swear I'm sharing this blog post and the comment thread with our couples therapist next week....lol
You sure can Amanda!! lol
Post a Comment