Happy to
report that Rebeca and I are done with the bullshit that is known as WholeDon’tEatAFuckingThingThatTastesGood30.
Did I run marathons? Did I have more energy than a toddler on their fourth
wind? Did I relive my days as a college student popping NoDoze, chugging
Mountain Dew and maybe or maybe not doing some speed? No.
Do I now hate
the thought of chewing anything? And did trying to eat pizza the other night make
me puke until I peed? Yes. Ugh.
I didn’t
necessarily get the “tiger’s blood” that people went on about, but I also didn’t
feel like a slug anymore. So yay.
Another good
thing is that this is something that Rebeca and I did together. And we saw it through. Usually she says we’re going to do something
and only I finish. Or neither of us do.
So this was a Go Team! kinda thing for us.
BUT…as I
strolled the aisle of Sprouts ones day, it really occurred to me that diets are
fucking racist and classist.
I can’t eat
rice? Or beans? Or tortillas? Or even tofu??!! Bitch, please.
This is what
we eat. This is what nourishes our
souls, not just our bodies. When I feed my daughter a noodle from my
chopsticks, I’m replaying a scene from my culture that’s been happening for
eons. Could I feed her a piece of organic cauliflower roasted in avocado oil
with kosher salt? Sure. But the taste and feel of udon or soba is in her bones. It's her history.
One woman I
was talking to remembered being a child and walking to the store every day to
buy tortillas. She and her brother would eat two on their way home. This was every day. This wasn’t just because they were having Taco
Tuesday or Enchilada Casserole, it was their Every Day. It was as much a part
of their lives as air.
Rebeca and I
talked one day about how Privileged we were to even be able to do this damn
diet. At the moment (because that can change at any time) we CAN buy produce
that is so much more expensive than just buying pasta or bread. We are able to buy nuts and “compliant”
snacks that cost more a pound than chicken or pork.
At this time
we can afford to eat healthy. We can
AFFORD to buy food that is good for us.
You know who
can’t? So many people. So many people from marginalized communities. So many
people with children, with second jobs, with too many other things to worry
about.
We are
privileged.
I work for a
school that serves families who fall below the national poverty guidelines. A family of 4 is considered living in poverty
if they make $25,100 or less. Twenty five thousand!!! Who can survive on that?
These families. And why? Because they
aren’t buying roasted cashews from Whole Foods or kale chips or coconut oil or
grass fed beef or smoothie pouches for their babies.
In our
community there is a Heath Services Advisory Committee that our program
partners with. They were behind the Sugar Tax in our city and also head many
programs geared toward healthy eating. All very well and good, and all headed
by a predominately (actually from what I saw, exclusively) white majority.
Why does this
matter?
It matters
when they instill a program that gives double dollars at the local farmers
market. This sounds like a fabulous deal! BUT, in our bougie little city, you
know who shops at the farmers market? Ranger Rover with Greenpeace bumper
sticker driving stay at home moms who stroll through with their Lululemon yoga
pants and venti lattes from the local coffee shop because Starbucks is too
commercial. Their babies are in Bugaboo prams that cost almost as much as my
mortgage.
There are
also the hipster students from the local university who drink kombucha and eat
only raw/vegan/glutenfree/nosugar/organic/nonGMO but wear wool hats and haul
leather bookbags. They loooooooooooooooooooooooove the diversity of this city
and especially like to share this with their one yellow/brown/muslim/black/jewish
friend.
You know who
doesn’t go to the farmers market? Our families. Why? To be blunt, it’s a white
space. It’s an English speaking space. It’s a truffle oil and blueberry basalmic
vinaigrette space.
And that is
not a comfortable place to be unless you’re part of that dominant culture. As
an English speaking person, I’m not even comfortable there.
So when the “committee”
wonders out loud why the double dollars program isn’t going well, it’s because
they just don’t know.
They don’t
know The Look. The overly widened eyes and humongous smiles to show how not
racist They are. They don’t know the slowed speech or the over enunciation or
the mangled way the other person tries to speak to us in the language that they
THINK we speak. They don’t know the “Oh my god your child has beautiful skin
color!” or “Your girls look so exotic!” or “Your English is so good!” *beam*
They don’t
know how it feels like to be noticed just because you don’t look like every
other person around. They don’t understand not speaking the language of the
majority, not knowing how to ask “how much…”, “do you have…” or “can I get…”.
You think I don’t feel the relief and sudden friendliness of cashiers when
they realize that I speak English? It’s like being in a silent movie until I
open my mouth.
They don’t
know.
What was the
purpose of this entire rant?
Two very important things. Diets are
dumb and privilege exists even in the most well-meaning of places. Recognize
it. Call it out. And push back on those whose good intentions are still laden
with it.



3 comments:
This was insightful and perfect, my friend.
Yes, this is perfection. It costs so much money or eat healthy. To feed our children healthy. Compare the cost of Kraft.mac and cheese to Annie's organic. Also, I'm with you, I can't give up rice and tortillas. No matter how hard I try. The struggle is real every day.
PS: The puke until you peed comment. That was brilliant.
Farmers market assholes! This is one of many reasons I prefer to buy Flaming Cheetos at Smith's, over rhubarb at the damn market.
I mean, who the fuck eats rhubarb? Seriously. #barf
Post a Comment