Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Friday, March 9, 2018

Cha cha cha changes


My therapist would be so proud of me. One of the charges she made was that I try to do things that used to bring me joy. When she asked me, initially, who I was besides a mom, teacher and wife, I was at a loss.  I couldn’t think of a way to describe myself outside of those roles.  Pathetic.

I used to do stuff. I used to journal and write things. I used to play sports and my teammates were my life. I used to protest and be a voice. I used to have an identity of my own.

That stopped when we had children. They became my focus and everything else wasn’t important anymore.  Not even my relationship if we’re being honest. 

Not to say that I haven’t done ANYTHING in the last 10.5 years. I’ve discovered Zumba. I started this blog. I…well that’s about it.

But in the last month or so, I’ve decided to put myself out there. I’ve applied to two different leadership opportunities and have been selected for both. One is being part of a Queer/Trans People of Color summit and the other is a year-long leadership program in ECE.

I applied for both not thinking that I would actually get selected. Yikes.

But I’m super excited! And equally overwhelmed at how much work I’m facing.

Trying to get back to me.  

Whatever that might look like.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

YES! So much this! Get back to you, whatever that may look like.

More Than Words said...

How awesome that you'll be going to a queer summit! I want to come! The things I used to do for me have become stuff I do for my kids, as well. Yes, I'm still crafty, but the only crafting I do is for kid's bday parties. I'm still into photography, but the only pictures I take are of my kids. I still love to swim and do it once a week, but it's only because of Parent/Tot Swim School... You get the idea. Now that I think about it, the only thing I do somewhat for myself is blogging and getting my nails done, every other week.That's sad. :/

I'm so glad you're doing more YOU stuff!