Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Isa

There are times when I worry about my dear Isa and her ideas regarding gender and traditional roles.  Rebeca and I scratch our heads when she makes comments like, "boys can't have long hair" or "boys can't wear pink."  And how one of us HAS to wear a dress in order to get married.  There's some stepford wife spirit living deep within that one.  It's frightening.

She knows we won't buy her Bar.bies or Dizney Prin.cess stuff, so she doesn't really ask anymore.  She has accepted the fact that her mothers are super lame and that her friends' parents are waaaaaaaay cooler.  Wise already, at such a young age.  But this wisdom does not stop her from drooling when she sees this stuff on other little girls, or on TV.  It makes me feel like we're slightly depriving her, but then she'll make a comment like, "I wish I had golden hair." or "I'm the skinniest girl in my class!!" and I'm holding strong once more.

Now that Christmas is soon approaching, I'm steadying myself for her "needs" and "wishes".  (Santa has already called our house once warning her to shape up.)  The Toys R Crack catalogue arrived the other day and she was in heaven as she paged through it.

This is what she declared that she wanted for Christmas.






Thank you sweet baby Jesus.  I am so happy that her nerdiness sometimes wins out over her antifeminist sensibilities.  

She also wants a "discoverers kit".  When Rebeca asked what that was she said, "You know something that I can put rocks in, or shells.  And like a magnifying glass."  *happy sigh*  

Maya is probably getting coal.  She's being a terror and a half lately and we're at a loss.  Today as we were leaving school, I told her that she wasn't getting a book at bed because of her day, she asked if Isa was getting one.  I said yes and as she hefted herself into the car she said, "Dumbit."  aka "Dammit"  We are so screwed.  

 

3 comments:

K J and the kids said...

:) You will always get one of which you don't relate. I think it's to break us from our own shells. To embrace our inner cheerleader.
She's a princess mom. You don't have to buy her actual disney princess dresses. Syd hated them. but I would buy her dresses that flowed and had PLENT o flower girl quality. They were just to dress up in mind you.
And maybe some gloss :)

She doesn't have a nerdy side :) she is just well balanced dumbit.

Stacy said...

Oh I totally know she's a "princess" in her own mind. lol She has a TON of dress up gowns, just not Disney. Two trunks to be exact, and also some flapper and cheerleader outfits for good measure. *yay*

As long as she doesn't keep bugging me to wear a dress...

:)

Kirsten said...

Clearly miss Isa has a mind of her own :) you're raising her up good, I wouldn't be too worried. As for Maya, well...my wife now cannot stop saying 'dumbit'. She may be our hero.