Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Just Like the Romneys Pt.2


I have about 2 trillion blog posts swimming around in my head at the moment.  And the one I’m about to post is already moot, but I might as well put it out there. 

 As Gays, I think that a lot of times we try to portray our relationships as positively as possible.  I know I do.  Because maybe, just maybe, JimmyPaul out there in Podunk, Wyoming who belongs to Focus on the Fa.mily, the K.KK and is also a right wing politician will come across this little blog of mine and suddenly see the light. 

“Well I’ll be damned.  These lesbians are JUST LIKE US straight people!!  I think they should get full marriage rights and protection across the board!!  I need to open a local chapter of P-FLA.G!!” 

I know the likeliness of that happening is slim to none, but you never know. 

Most, if not all, of the blogs I read only show the shiny parts of their relationship.  Then suddenly there will be dead air and a few months later BOOMSHAKALAKA a break up.  I always go back through the archives looking for something that might have hinted at this, and wonder if the issues had been put out there, would We, the blogging community, have been able to help.  I know that this is also very assuming of me.  Like you would call upon me for counsel when you have your physically there friends and family.  But often times after a breakup, there is the closing of the blog, and selfish as it may seem, I feel like I’ve lost friends.  Am I a sad sad being, or what? 

All of this being said, you all know I’m not very shy about airing my dirty laundry, as long as it’s about sex.  That’s a whole different blog post.  Women+Sex+Feminism+Positivity.  We’ll go there one day. 

But I am usually mum about the bickering that can happen around here.  Over the last few weeks there’s been a general air of….annoyance.  Nothing concrete to actually fight about, but mostly a sense of irritation with one another.  A funk, if you will. 

It started with me noticing that she was acting different and I could tell that it was because she was not taking her meds as she should be.  I noticed and she was pissed that I noticed (and was correct).  She wasn’t trying to wean herself, she just kept forgetting to refill the script.  She refilled and of course took a few days to get back to “fine”. 

So there was this cloud of “bleh” around us.  One day I sniffed and she asked me why I was grouchy.  I wasn’t grouchy, but then became so because she asked that.  One morning she was waaaaaaaaaay too much in the way in the bathroom as I was trying to get ready.  See.  Nothing to actually fight about, just PMSing without the actual period coming.  Fun times. 

That’s what’s been happening around here.  And I’m putting this out there because maybe there are other couples who are like us.  That go through these funky times but are still okay.  Because we are.  We are fine and will continue to be so.  We even laugh at our bleh-ness.  She wanted to hold hands the other day and I told her that “we’re not there yet.”  Then she gets fake sassy and makes me hold her hand, which I was fine with all along. 
 
You know why it took so long to write out this post??  Because I'd be annoyed, want to write, then she'd do something cute and the feeling would pass.  This happened multiple times.  The annoyance is pretty much gone now, but I thought what the hell.

We’re just a regular couple.  We love and laugh and grumble and pout.  We have days that we can’t get enough of one another and days where we need a little space.  We’re still Individuals that are continuously working on being a Couple.  And if that means no kissing while having sex because she wants to play “hooker” then so be it.  (Even though I really know it’s because she’s being lazy.) 

It’s all good in this hood JimmyPaul. 

 

 
 

 

 

6 comments:

Sarah + Laura said...

Love this! We often write about the negative in our lives, but its mostly the struggle with Sarah's parents, and rarely our arguments (except once we wrote a post about our debate on showers vs baths..) - we love that you did! I think we don't because of what you said - we'll have a row, then 10 minutes later will be doing cute things again. As long as Sarah apologises hahaha. We'll work on writing about it!

Anonymous said...

Amen to that. Just this morning I was thinking that my wife was deliberately standing in all the wrong places just because she was too obstinate to notice that I was trying to be in that SAME SPOT. The nerve. We were a bundle of joy at my house this morning. And, indeed, when asked why I was grouchy when I sighed too loudly , I became grouchy, when I wasn't before. I hate it when everything is shiny happy people and then break-up annnnnd scene. I miss them when they go and I also wonder - could writing about it have saved it? All too often I think, probably not.

More Than Words said...

As you and I have discussed on many occasions, marriage can be really tough at times (and I'm still planning to respond to your recent message btw, lol)! The funny thing is that for me and my blog there are some legit reasons for limiting my blog posts on such topics... You may remember my post a few months ago about a tough time me and G were going through. Well, friends and family who read my blog suddenly started freaking out like we were headed for divorce court or something. It's pretty ridiculous that in the years I've been blogging and the (maybe) 5 times I've written about relationship troubles, I always seem to get the same reaction from those who know us IRL. Apparently lesbian relationships are supposed to be perfect all the time...

Stacey said...

Love this post. We are all like that. There are moments where you picture running away and then she will do something sweet and you think, why would I ever think to leave? It's hard, marriage. It's even harder with kids. I don't post about our arguments or issues so much only because I feel like it would be violating her privacy and posting my side of things which would make her feel like it's unfair. Especially since people we know in real life read our blog.

I hear you about blogs suddenly posting a break-up and then stopping. I hate that too because I feel like I've lost something valuable in my life.

K J and the kids said...

You have a TRILLION blog ideas to post about. Can you give me one of them and I'll write about it ? :)

The best advice I've ever heard was from Jada Pinkett who said something like, the trick to a good relationship is to not fall out of love at the same time.

Thanks for sharing that normal isn't always great. although in my book you girls both are.

I'd totally come to you for counseling.

StephLove said...

Hi, I'm visiting from Tyfanny's blog and this struck a chord because I just mentioned there's a lot I never go into in my blog. And what I didn't say is a lot of it is relationship issues. I might share more than I do if I didn't think it would upset my wife. I do need to take her feelings into account, as well as mine.

What I try not to do, because it drives me crazy on other people's blogs is say something like "Oh, I'm so upset about something but I can't tell you what it is."