Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Saturday, October 25, 2014

THE LIST

Here’s the list of what a 'perfect' relationship has:
1. Admit you're wrong after an argument
2. Say 'I love you' before you go to sleep
3. Share household chores
4. Regular date nights
5. Take turns to cook
6. Sex twice a week
7. Share the washing up
8. Same taste in films
9. Meet through mutual friends
10. Three year, six months age gap
11. Two shared hobbies
12. Share three mutual friends
13. Three date nights a month
14. Best friends
15. Kiss five times a day
16. Cuddle five times a day
17. Have one romantic meal a month
18. Two weekend breaks a year
19. Both work full-time
20. Have the same taste in food

A while ago, I came across the above list on Laura and Sarah’s blog.  I meant to blog about it after I stopped laughing, but you know me, I got lazy and then busy.  I guess it was part of an article about a new kind of rail pass in the UK.  

I’ve never professed to be a part of a perfect relationship.  You all KNOW that Rebeca and I have our shit sometimes, but I think we at least do a couple of those things listed.  I hope so anyway.  Let’s dissect this list, shall we? 

 Admit you’re wrong after an argument.  Ummmmm.  I really, really suck at this.  Rebeca is very good about it.  I’ll give us half a point. 

Say “I love you” before you go to sleep.  Again, she’s much better at that than I am.  ½ pt.

Share household chores.  YES!  We do do this.  She cleans the bathrooms, because I refuse to do so.  I do most of our laundry and take out the trash.  I prefer to vacuum over mop, so she’ll do the other.  If we have any pets, they’re “mine” to take care of.  And by pets I don’t mean Isa and Maya.  1pt.

Regular date nights.  As any of you with children know, these are extremely important but can also be extremely rare.  We try to at least go out, sans kids, once a month.  Sometimes we can sneak a couple hours away on the weekend, but that’s about it.  Another reason why I want to move back to Colorado.  We can hire a damn babysitter and not rely on my mom’s schedule.   ½ pt

Take turns to cook.  Now that there are 3 women in our household, it most often falls on my mom to cook.  She prefers to, and I’m the last one home.  Rebeca is not very interested in cooking, but she can make some mean enchiladas!   0pts

Sex twice a week.  Shite.  You all know our sex history.  We’re just coming off of summer here on the island and it has been a HOT one.  No, not hawt, but actually freaking HOT!!  Therefore, I don’t want anything touching me except the cool air from the fan.  We have still kept up with our usually once a week thing circa 2011, so that’s a plus.  AND last weekend we did it 3 times in ONE DAY!!!  I think that takes care of the rest of the month.  *grin*  3/4pts.

Share the washing up.  Not too sure what this means.  Like, do I give her a bath?  Do we take turns bathing??  Are they talking about dishes?  Unclear.  We’ll go with dish washing.  We take turns.  Whoever washes, the other dries and puts away.  I’m gonna give us 1 pt. for this one. 

Same taste in film.  Erghhhh.  NO!  We do NOT share the same tastes in film.  I always make fun of her because the movies she likes, NOTHING HAPPENS IN THEM!!!!  Like seriously.  A guy walking around a neighborhood and talks to a random person at the bus stop.  She thinks that’s AMAZING.  I start to nod off.  Films she’s chosen that I almost had to claw my skin off:  “Lost in Translation”, “Beginners”, “Up in the Air”, and last but not least, “American Hustler.”  I had such high hopes for the last one thinking that it was about the mob.   Zero pts.

Meet through mutual friends.  We met on the interweb.  We had absolutely no connections and a seemingly fate driven meeting.   0 pts

3 years 6 month age gap.  We are 5 months and 9 days apart in age.  0pts.

Two shared hobbies.  Again, we are very different when it comes to stuff like this.  BUT we do really like going to listen to live music and watching movies.  Are these hobbies?  I like zu.mba and r.ip.ped, she likes to paddle.  I guess our 2 main hobbies are Isa and Maya.  Har har   1pt.

Share 3 mutual friends.  These would have to be people we met as a couple right?  Hmmmmm… I don’t think we have any.  All of our friends were brought in through one of us first.  0 pts.

3 date nights a month.  0 pts.

Best friends.  I take issue with this one. Rebeca is not my best friend, she’s my best EVERYTHING. I would have to say that my best friend is my friend Carla. ½pt

Kiss 5 times a day.  WTF??  Probably not, but there are days when we have some great make out sessions.  0 pts.

Cuddle 5 times a day.  No. It’s been hot, and I’m not a cuddler.   0 pts.

Have 1 romantic meal a month.  We try.  ½ pt

2 weekend breaks a year.  Does this mean sans children?  If so, then no.  What constitutes a weekend break?  I love when we have an entire weekend with nothing to do.  We can traipse around the island, go to the beach, whatever.  If that counts, then yes, all the time!  1 pt

Both work full-time.  Yes.  Fo sho.  1 pt

Have the same taste in food.  We heart food hard.  1 pt                                   

In the end, I think we got a grand total of 9.25.  We're nearly half way perfect.  Just how I like us.  


2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

Now make your "perfect relationship" list.
What is perfect to one may not perfect to you.
One thing that I do know is...that picture is perfect.

Anonymous said...

As for #1, another couple we know says that when they argue and disagree, one of them says, "you know, you may be right about that" and then that's the end of it. We've tried it - it's not bad!

Also, dude, I would KILL for sex once a week. Whats the secret?