Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My 200th post!

I've been waiting for a few days to see if I had anything exciting to say for my 200th post.  I didn't, but was lucky enough to have May Day (this past Friday) to focus on.  Lots of pictures of the girls.  That's enough for Post 200, no?

"May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii...garlands of flowers everywhere."  May Day is a huge event in Hawaii! From elementary school on, this annual holiday is celebrated with songs and hula.  There is a Court, complete with king and queen and each island is represented by a prince and princess.  There is a conch shell blower and kahili bearers to signify the coming of royalty.

In our school the pre-k children are the court members since they are the oldest.  We do the selection lottery style and each child puts their name in for the "job" they want.  OF COURSE Isa wanted to be a princess.  And she was selected.  *sigh*  She was Princess of Kauai.  Color- Purple *double sigh*  Is it horrible that I don't want her to always get what she wants????  Things come so easy to her, it's a bit maddening at times.

Each of the classes perform a song "for the court" and the court also performs a hula.  It's all very theatrical and a little nuts.

I can totally see Maya as the conch shell blower when she's four.  hahah

Here are some pictures from the day.


Rebeca was very proud of her flower arrangement, bottom right.  :)  

All the flowers and greenery are donated by parents.  And they do all the decorating as well.  :)



Getting dressed.

She was in heaven being able to wear makeup.






The conch shell blower announces the procession.  

Kahili bearers lead the procession.

King and Queen

Prince and Princess of Kauai.  Wearing sea grape and crown flower leis.  




Maya's class singing "Slippah Slippah"


Their court hula- Pupu Hinuhinu 


That arm around her shoulder was a bit TOO natural.  :)







The court hula was really cute.  They did a great job.






2 comments:

CJ said...

That is seriously too adorable! I wanna live in Hawaii!!

K J and the kids said...

The parents from your pre school ROCK ! Nice support, yo.

Isa's quite the delicate little flower isn't she. It didn't look like her shells barely touched each time she clicked them. :)
I love her up on her toes in her chair too. She IS the perfect princess.

I wish Maya could have blown the conch blower :) She rocks.

Ok...I have to admit...each time I read or now have written conch. I want to say chonch. hee hee hee
Yes. I am a 15 yr boy.