![]() |
| Young 'mo #14 |
![]() |
| Old 'mo |
Happy I’m a Gay Day everyone!! I had a hard time finding someone to come out to today, so I just retold a bunch of people. I even offered lunch to anyone who didn’t know that I was a big ole ‘mo. But, as it seems, I’m out to everyone I know.
A little bit ago, Debbie from A Day is Short, blogged about being out as a teacher. And I wrote a very very long comment. ☺ Here it is in all of it’s glory. And because I’m too lazy to rewrite this brilliance. Har har
“I have so much to say!! So it'll probably all come out in some sort of nonsense ramble. :) Sorry in advance. *sigh*
Coming out for teachers is such a scary thing! I always encourage Rebeca to be out with her students because she's a middle school teacher and the gay students out there need to see themselves represented. She's one of those people, though, who won't lie about it, but won't go around announcing it either.
When students ask her if she's married, she says no, because we aren't. When they ask about her husband, she says that she doesn't have one, but also doesn't say that she has a female partner instead. When asked outright if she's gay, she affirms it and moves on. I think it's so much more important for her to be out, then for me to be.
As for me. My kids are pre-k. They don't ask about whether or not I'm married or if I have a boyfriend. They just don't care. They're still very self centered and it probably wouldn't cross their mind that I have a life outside of school. :)
As for their parents....they definitely ask. And usually I'll answer, "No, I don't have a husband, but I do have a partner." And they can take that as they will.
The main reason for my "outness" at school, is because of my girls. I can't hide who I am. I need to show them that our family is perfectly fine and good. Everyone knows that Isa and Maya have two moms, and the kids definitely don't have an issue with it.
I have to be out, because I would NEVER want my girls to feel like we're something to be ashamed of. Once you start, coming out never ends. And it really doesn't get easier.
I just came out to my substitute aide the other day. She reads her Bible on her breaks. It was very anticlimactic, but she definitely doesn't ask anything about my personal life anymore. :) And I'm okay with that. Good luck to you. Children are much more open minded then adults. And parents can always do with some education. I don't even know if I said everything I wanted to say. I may have to take this and continue it in a blog. lol I hope your first days of schools went well and nausea free. *hugs*”
Coming out to strangers NEVER ends. I think I have to out myself at least a few times a month. The last time was this past Saturday. I went to the doctor and he was worried about some medication I’m on. You know, just in case I got pregnant. He asked if I was on birth control, and I replied, “No, I have a female partner.” He got very quiet and flustered, said something about oh I’m sorry…and then shuffled quickly away. It was almost laughable. And, as usual, AWKWARD!
I told Rebeca about it when I got home and she laughed as only someone who KNOWS can.
Coming out is so important. And for those of you who have done it, or are doing it- you’re amazing! And powerful and courageous and a total super star. I love that we are family even if we’ve never met.
Happy National Coming Out Day!! Here’s to another year of living authentically.



2 comments:
I had no idea. I just want you to know.....that no matter how or who you love....I accept you.
I don't know how anyone could be in the closet with kids. My kids will announce at random things like Mommy J and my mom's. Or...my favorite....I have a dad, his name is Mommy J. :)
Any ways. My name is Karen. I'm a boob grabbin, finger licking, lady riding lesbian.
and proud of it.
As always, I love you and your posts. HAPPY GAY DAY! We deserve the hell out of it for having to putting up with telling people over and over and over again what their privileged asses can just assume about each other. Oh, sorry about that. I meant happy gay day! ;)
Post a Comment