Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Run, Stacy, Run!!

I never blogged about this because I didn't know if I would stick with it.  And I wouldn't want to show EVERYONE who reads this what a wuss I am.  So I kept quiet.  Waiting to see if it would stick.  And seemingly it has. 

Waaaaaaaay back in August, the 18th to be exact, I started a couch to 5k program.  Rebeca was still paddling on Mondays and Wednesdays, and with school beginning for Isa, I couldn't be dragging the girls to Zum.ba anymore on those nights.  In order to keep my fitness going, and my blood sugar numbers dropping, I had to find something to do on those nights that I was solo. 

So I bit the bullet and decided to start running. 

I LOATHE running.  I know I've said that in the past.  But really.  LOATHE.  I've only played sports where there are short bits of running.  Softball= sprints to bases.  Rugby= sprints until a tackle.  All very short distances with periods of rest.  Lots of rest. 

BUT I needed to do something.  So I began the C25K program on a blistering afternoon in August.  I almost died. 

5 minute warm up walk.  1 minute run.  1.5 minute walk Repeat x 8.  5 minute cool down walk. 

My lungs collapsed and I saw the bright tunnel of light.  I felt like such a pathetic loser!!  I finished it all without modifying, but thought quite badly of myself and my lung capacity.  I could/can zu.mba for over an hour, but couldn't run for 60 seconds without wheezing???  WTF??? 

That was back in August.  I continued my program pretty consistently on all the days that I didn't have zumb.a and it seemed to get easier.  The first time I had to run for 3 minutes without stopping I thought I should write an advance directive, but it actually turned out fine. 

Surprise surprise! 

This brings me to 2 weekends ago.  On Sunday the 20th, I was finagled into participating in the the Ra.ce for the C.ure.  My friend made me   encouraged me to register even through my protests of "but I'm not 5k ready!!  I'm only on week 5!!"   She didn't care. 

I fucking did it!!  Well mostly.  I had to walk twice for less than a minute each time.  But I finished and didn't need CPR.  Although I DID see this SUUUUUUUUUUPER hot fire fighter chick with arm tats and short hair.  *drool*  She could've mouth to mouthed me any day. 

My goal is to run the next one in it's entirety.  Am a runner??  Oh hellllllz no.  But I do enjoy the challenge.  I love when my phone vibrates in my hand at the end of a workout and I can stop.  I'm always amazed that I made it though.  It's a grand feeling for sure. 

My friend, who actually must hate me, just sent me info about a race in December.  This one for the Mak.e a Wi.sh Foundation.  I'm almost excited to try it out.  Almost. 

Last night I ran for 25 minutes straight.  Who the eff am I?????  Every time I think I'm not going to be able to do it, I do.   I continue to amaze myself and that's pretty cool after all these years. 




Adds up to 14 which is my number!!  I took it as a good omen.
 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did it! Who knows what accomplishments are waiting in the wings! YAY!

K J and the kids said...

I think you are a freaking ROCK STAR (listen for the vibrato on that last bit)
You seriously rock. I think it must be an age thing because in my best shape....I couldn't run AT all. I tried to focus on my breathing like everyone says...NO WAY !

So proud of you cheeky. Getterdun in December. Do it for the kids.

AdventuresInBabyMaking said...

Awesome :) I, too, loathe running but I bought the Zombies, Run! app awhile ago and I loooove it. It's a really interesting story, so it keeps you motivated to go out there. Also, I don't want to spoil anything for you, but it turns out that it's super gay, too, which I didn't know going into it but I think is hilarious.

And, um, I appreciate the picture of you and your friend and all, but where is the picture of the super hot fire fighter?? ;)

kari said...

Totally awesome!!!