Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Monday, July 26, 2010

That movie that everyone is talking about




I am so torn. I have read both positive and negative reactions to "The Kids are All Right" and I can't decide what I'm going to do.

I loathe that there is a lesbian/dude hook up. And although I've read that it's done "so well" so that there's no "all lesbians want a man" thing...there is. Because obviously she had an affair with a man. And she's a lesbian. A lesbian who had a great time with a dick. Who supposedly "oohs and ahhhs" over it. Sick. Grrrrr.

I want to see it because it's supposed to be good. And of course because it's about lesbians. I'll watch anything that has lesbians. Just ask my poor brother. I made him sit through about 15 lesbian flicks one summer when he was but a wee high schooler. Some were ok. Most were not. But maybe he learned a thing or two along the way. heh

So, I'm conflicted over this new movie. I want to be able to definitively like it or not like it. Which means I need to see it first. But even the idea of Julianne Moore and Mark Ruffalo getting it on makes me a little ill. Especially since I hear he has a really hairy ass. And it's not because of hetero sex, but because of who she's supposed to be. A monogamous, lesbian mom.

I don't want to have to school some schmuck who thinks that all lesbians secretly want some man meat. Rebeca thinks that those types of idiots won't see this movie in the first place. But what if their girlfriends make them!? *sigh*

It's only playing at one theater on the island. I'm pretty sure we will see it just because it's a movie and a chance to get out of the house.

And now I've just read an article about the lack of POCs (people of color) in the film. Lord help me.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Just found you through a comment on another blog...great blog! I watched this movie and was very disappointed in the whole affair thing. I'm straight but can't imagine that this represented a gay woman well, and now your post has confirmed that! Good movie in some ways, the teenagers were great, but the whole way the relationships were portrayed seemed very surface and not believable....very hollywood I guess.