Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's effing March already!!

Guess some bullets are in order...

--Civil unions passed in Hawaii!! Whoo hoo!! I couldn't really get excited until the Gov. signed it, which he did the other day. I'm still wary about what will happen between now and Jan. 1, 2012 when it goes into effect. Why so long you ask? Because Hawaii lives in some sort of vacuum where time moves sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slowly and the people do too. It will take 10 months for the peeps at the marriage licensing place to create a new form for civil unions. I don't see why they can't just get a copy of Vermont's form, white out "Vermont" and write in Hawaii. No? So Rebeca has been on a marriage bandwagon (only after 10 years) and is perusing venues and catering options. Pfft. She never wanted to get married before!! I told her that she must propose. Ha! And raise your hand if you agree that proposals don't have the word "wanna" in them. ;)


--Weekend o' yuck. This past Friday night we noticed that Maya had a little fever and slight cough. Saturday morning I took Isa to the zoo and when we came home Maya was napping. She woke a couple times crying and barking. When she woke up around 2:30ish she was wheezing slightly but acting completely normal. Playing and fighting with Isa. The dr. called at 3 and said to steam her and come in if her wheeze got worse. Rebeca steamed her out and soon after her breathing became really labored and high pitched. By 5:30 she was wheezing and whistling even when she was at rest. We took her in to the after care clinic and was told they'd see her at 7:40 (it was 6:10). But we got in very quickly and as soon as the nurse heard her, she called for a dr. The dr. came in and sent us straight to the ER. Long story short, she had to spend the night at the hospital. Rebeca stayed with her since they would only allow one parent. The next morning Isa and I went to the hospital and Maya was released around noon.

She was given a script for 'roids and I've been home both Monday and today. She seems a lot better today, but has been suffering from 'roid rage!! It's crazy. We thought she was just being cranky but when our dr. called last night he said it was a side effect! Poor baby. Rebeca is staying home tomorrow to give her another day rest.


--Isa's deep thoughts. This child. My philosopher. Every morning as we drive our hour to work, I wonder what question will come out of her mouth. The other morning as we drove to the zoo she wondered about snakes.

Isa: Mommy, would a snake slither on me?
Me: What do you mean?
Isa: If I was in the desert would a snake slither on me?
Me: It would probably run away from you since you're so much bigger. (I didn't want to get into the poisonous/biting/death conversation.)
Isa: Why don't snakes have legs?
Me: That's just how they're made.
Isa: *pause* Who made US mommy?
Me: (damn) *long pause debating in my head where I want this to go* God made us.
Isa: Who's God?
Me: God created everything. You know like on Baba's mamansan (shrine) she asks mamansan to keep everyone healthy and safe? That's a god.
Isa: There's a god on Baba's mamansan. Who is that again?
Me: That's buddah...he's a god too.
Isa: Where is God? Can we see God?
Me: Umm God is everywhere. (too vague) God is in heaven. *sigh*
Isa: Where's heaven? Can we go there? Can I see heaven?
Me: Some people think heaven is up above the clouds. That's where people go when they die.
Isa: Who's God's mother?
Me: God doesn't have a mother.
Isa: Is God magic like the Easter Bunny?
Me: Yes.
-and scene-

She's also been wondering about how she got into Mama's stomach. Any two mom families want to weigh in on this?? Por favor? My idea is to just say that we bought "seed" and then I put it into Rebeca. So many questions!!



1 comment:

K J and the kids said...

ha ha ha ha
I LOVE how these "little talks" take on a new life and we're never quite ready or prepared for them :) ha ha

We have considered flying the fam to Hawaii to get married when it's OFFICIAL. We also have to save A LOT OF DAMN MONEY :)
Can you work on getting that taken care of !