Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 15- Favorite bible verse and some Stacy 101 (lucky you)

I could just type out my favorite verse, or I could tell a little story.... My narcissism wins out. :)

I grew up going to church like so many others. I HATED Sundays because it meant I had to wear a dress. Personal hell. I liked everything else about church, just not the dress code. I grew up Episcopalian (still rep that *wink*). I was an acolyte, choir member, substitute pianist. I belonged to Young Life in high school. In college I was a proud member of Campus Crusade for Christ, Athletes in Action and I was the only female tenor in a fabulous gospel choir. :) I LOVED singing. It was my church.

I've always had a wonderful relationship with God (aka the Easter Bunny per Isa). Every single time I "need" something, S/He always comes through. Not always in the way I want, but it always turns out for the best. Always.

So when I was at the point that I was trying very hard to NOT be gay, I prayed the most most most most most important "Please-God-change-me-I-promise-to-do-anything-if-I'm-just-not-gay" prayer that I could muster. Every night. For a long time. And nothing happened. S/He had answered every single one of my prayers in my life, and not this one? The one that should have been in His/Her interest? Hmmmm.

And so I tried something else. One night instead of my regular pleading/begging/bargaining, I whispered, "I am gay." I had never said it out loud, but holy shit the feeling of peace and calm that came over me...was something I had never experienced before. A wave of relief and love. And after that I never felt like I needed to compromise. I was true to who I was, and my relationship with God was even stronger. Woot woot!

When my pals in Campus Crusade and Athletes in Action found out, they were not impressed. I was no longer welcomed since I was obviously NOT a Christian. I wasn't surprised. But it did hurt a wee bit. It did make a few pause though. So that was a positive.

There's my story. I know you wanted to know. :)

Favorite bible verses. My bible is in storage, and the verses I really like are on a note card inside of it. Let's see how many I can muster from memory. ha

Philippians 1:3-4 I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven: ...

Ruth 1:16-17 You know the one. :)

2 comments:

K J and the kids said...

Where you will go, I will go :)

AMAZING story. and what a great relationship you've been able to keep with God....even with religious persecution.

Praise allah :)

Stacy said...

lol Persecution? Nah. At least they didn't try to shock therapy it out of me.

Praise allah indeed! And Hare Krishna too! :)