Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 25- Favorite Memory

What am I going to do when this challenge is done??? I'll have nothing left to write about.

I think my favorite memory is of meeting Rebeca for the first time. I always make her tell me her version.

Back in the day, I was managing a bookstore, she was a first year teacher. We met on the now defunct Planet.Out :) It was all horribly shady back then to meet people on the interweb. We had been e-mailing for a little over a week when she said that she would stop by my store that Saturday. Two of her sisters were going to be in town so I was to keep an eye out for 3 Latina women. She knew what I looked like, but her profile didn't have a picture. Supreme advantage on her part.

All day I was a nervous wreck. I kept putting off my lunch break in case I missed them. I gave my asst. manager strict instructions to come and get me if she saw 3 girls fitting the description. No one came. Later in the afternoon, I noticed a woman walk in. She had midlength brown hair, jeans and a yellow jacket. I thought she was hot. But she was alone. Then I saw her and another woman huddled in a corner. The other woman kept looking at me. I thought they were weird. As I was ringing up a customer, I noticed the yellow jacket woman standing in line. I knew at once it was Rebeca.

I stayed extremely cool and began to hyperventilate and sweat internally. She came up, handed me "Savage Inequalities" (bonus pts!) and said, "By the way, I'm Rebeca." You know how suave me handled this???? I replied, smooth as butter, "You need a teacher discount card!!" Fuuuuuuuuuuck. I don't know how she could stand the charm!!

We chatted for a few minutes. I was a mess. I couldn't look her in the eye and I kept pacing behind the counter. It was amazing that I didn't pass out. She and her sister left and I just had to bang my head on the counter a few times. *sigh* My Asst. comforted me as best as she could between giggles and my other employee just kept saying, "I've never seen you like that before. hahahahahahahah!" Bastard.

I raced home as fast as I could formulating an e-mail in my head that would explain my extreme awkwardness. When I got there, she had already written...to explain HER extreme awkwardness. It was terrific. :)

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Awww! Such a sweet story!