Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A few more

#16-  Something you always think "what if" about.    I always wonder what would have happened if I had joined the Peace Corps right out of college.  Would I have been able to handle the required amount of time.  What kind of people would I have met?  Would I have had a hot PC affair?  :)  But as I always say, everything is as it should be.  And if I had gone that route, my life would not be what it is today.

Day 16 – How many friends do you have in real life that you talk to regularly? How many friends do you have that you feel are ‘true blue’ and how long have you known them?
Now that we're back in Hawaii, I do talk to my IRL Hawaii friends pretty often.  We don't see each other as much as we'd like, but I do talk to a least a handful on a regular basis.  Whether it be by phone or a quick FB message.  FB has really helped in my being able to keep in touch with so many people who are important to me.  Having lived in so many different places I have quite a few groups of friend.  Hawaii ones, Japan ones, college Hawaii ones, college major ones, college rugby ones, work ones, etc.  
The friends that I keep in touch with at least weekly are "true blue".  I KNOW that I can call any one of them at any time and they will help a sister out.  I'd say that there are at least a dozen of them.  From different parts of my life, but each one I can totally call with my worst shit and they'll still love me.  It's amazing and not something I take for granted.    


Day 17 – (for parents) What is your favorite thing about parenthood? Your least favorite?
(for parents-to-be) What are you most looking forward to about parenthood?  My favorite thing- Experiencing everyday life with them.  Knowing that I get to see these two girls grow up into women.  I love when we do something new for all of us.  To see the excitement on their faces, and to feel the wonderment with them, is the greatest of feelings.  
My least favorite thing- Feeling at the end of the day, I could have done better as a mom.
  Day 18 – How do you feel about astrology? What’s your sign, baby, and do you think it matches your personality?  Answered already.  :)  

Day 19 – How do you (and your partner if applicable) feel about PDA?  PDA.  Hmmmm  When we first started dating, we thought nothing of holding hands while walking down the street.  As time went on, we just didn't.  It wasn't anything conscious, I just think we like our own space.  I've actually been thinking about the necessity of "touch" in a relationship.  As GAYS we tend to censor ourselves for our own safety or our perceived safety.  Many of us don't touch in public like other couples do.  And I think we need it.  We need the connection.  I've been trying to hold Rebeca's hand more when we're out in public.  As uncomfortable as it may be.  I also want our girls to see that we're a couple.  That we're in love, and we're not just their moms. ( Something she and I need to remember too.)  We'll give an occasional peck on the lips when we say good-bye or when we meet coming around the car after putting a kid in.  That's all I'm comfortable doing and, really, that's enough when we're in public anyway.  We don't censor our language though, and I'm always calling her honey or babe no matter where we are.  And vice versa.  It's something I don't really think about.  


1 comment:

Jersey said...

oy... the PDA thing is so hard. i agree, ive never been a huge fan of PDA but i definitely know that i was more physically affectionate with the men i dated than i am now with wifey. i remember being at the airport and feeling the typical omg-what-if-my-plane-crashes-and-i-never-see-her-again pre flight jitters, and i wanted to kiss her like for reals... but i was afraid and felt unsafe so i didnt. how sad that we have to sensor ourselves and our love.

also, i appreciate the re-frame about showing affection in front of kids. its so important and i wonder how we will navigate that when we have tiny humans in our life.