In the spirit of the LBD challenge, this post is about our first date. Awwwwww. So young, so innocent. Eyes wide open to the infinite possibilities that lay ahead. *sigh*
It was October of 2000. My ex-gf and I had broken up in June and I was having a blast being single. Kissing people, going to the bar every night and not caring about anything really. I was living by myself for the first time in my life and I loved it!
At night I would peruse Planet.Out. (Remember when loading a page would take about 2 minutes??) In order to look at “profiles” you had to create one. So being a gal who always follows the rules, I did.
On October 19th I got an email. It said, “Just wondering what you're doing in Greeley? I read your profile and am interested to know a little bit more about you. I just moved to Fort Collins a few months ago and am looking for some fun friends.” I looked at her profile and realized that it had been one that I had looked at before. I had contemplated writing to her, but didn’t. I wrote back and we e-mailed for a couple of weeks. I asked a lot of questions and she made fun of me, but answered every one.
I’ve already written about the day she came into my bookstore and what a fool I made of myself. So we won’t go down that pathetic road again. We talked on the phone a couple of times and continued to e-mail. At this point I was already telling my asst. manager that Rebeca was too good to be true. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Halloween was coming up and I had plans to go to the local gay bar. The holiday fell on a Tuesday night and when I asked Rebeca if she wanted to go, she said she couldn’t because it was a school night. :) That day at work, I dressed up like the Cat in the Hat, complete with eyeliner nose and whiskers. Later I was going to wear the costume to the bar. That night before I left for Tornados I was talking to Rebeca on the phone. (We had to use phone cards!) I asked her if she wanted to reconsider and go out with me. Surprisingly she said yes!! But that she had to be home by 9:00. Cute. I had to clean my face of eyeliner and get some regular clothes on. She gave me directions to her house and off I went.
I ended up picking her up at around 7:00, waaaaaaaay to early to go to the bar. We cruised around a bit, bought some cigarettes and then went. It still wasn’t even 8:00, but I figured I only had a couple of hours with her.
We went in to Tornados, got a table since there wasn’t anyone there, and had a beer. A few of my friends worked there and had a great time making rude gestures, shooting me with the soda gun and basically being nuisances. But they were happy to see me out with someone after my rough summer.
It was a really fun night and it makes me smile to think about it. I got her out on the dance floor and our first dance was to “Tainted Love”. Haha She had such a sexy drunk/dance face. We ended up staying out until almost midnight. And when I took her back to her house she gave me an awkward one-armed hug. So. Her.
As I was driving my ½ hour home my phone rang. (Remember Voice Stream?) She told me that she had had a lot of fun and that she wanted to see me again. Then she told me that she had a girlfriend. Dun dun duuuuuuun. I KNEW IT!!! (That was my first thought because I enjoy being right.) We talked until 3am and she explained why she still had a gf and how she thought moving 300 miles away from said gf would have inferred a breakup. Obviously no one informed the gf.
I went to bed with a smile on my face, but a little wary about Rebeca’s intentions.
This is a picture from that night. I was so happy that I thought to have someone snap this. We were babies!

3 comments:
That's gotta be Rebecca's tainted drunk face right ? :)
You guys are super cute. I can see just from the picture that it was meant to be !
Oh and P.S. Just finished season 1.
It's cute. I wouldn't compare it to the L word. Can't wait to see how it all plays out in Season 2. Now that they are in bed and her parents are coming with the cops.
aww look at you two! the cutest lil lesbos I ever did see.
also, the airline miles are british airways only! boo.
Post a Comment