Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Eleventeen

#11  Mi Familia
     Muy bueno.  I like them.  Here's a pic from this past weekend.  My paternal grandma and all of her "greats".  I wonder if my hair will 'fro as I get older.  :)




I'm not really close to this side of the family.  The older dude cousins are pretty conservative and Catholic.  Not-that-there's-anything-wrong-with-that.  But I know our views don't necessarily vibe.  That being said, they're family and I do want the girls to know them.  I guess.  *wink*  


#11-  In what ways does being a 2 mom family impact your experience of parenting?
     
     I think I really notice the difference when I hear my friends talk about parenting with their husbands.  In so many cases it seems like the men are not expected to do an equal amount of parenting, especially the day to day stuff.  One of my co-workers wouldn't go out with us this past Friday because her husband "couldn't handle" having both kids by himself.  Um what???  And that's not uncommon!  It amazes me.  I always tell them, "They can't just MAKE the kids and then be done!"  *sigh*  
     Rebeca and I split the parenting pretty 50/50.  When the babies were born and Rebeca was nursing at night, I'd get up, change her and then bring her to Rebeca.  Admittedly I did this much more with Isa than with Maya.  Oops, my bad.  
     Now, if one of us is cooking/cleaning/pooping, the other watches the hoodlums.  If I'm cleaning up after dinner, Rebeca will bathe them and vice versa.  We each put one to bed, but I usually try to do Isa since she's easier.  *coughcough*  
     Mostly I do the cooking, laundry and trash.  Rebeca is the cleaner because I loathe it.  We both discipline, but I'm definitely stricter and we argue about her inconsistency when it comes to consequences.  We also joke that I'll do the disciplining from now to about 5th grade and then she'll take over since she's the secondary ed. teacher.  :)  Nerdy?  Yes.  
     Rebeca never makes me feel like I'm the "lesser" mom just because I didn't birth them. If she ever did, I don't think we could be together.  I'm probably hyper sensitive to it anyway, and I'm always wondering if I react in certain ways because we're not "blood".  I hate self doubt.  
     But I know I adore these girls.  When Isa was born, her cry would physically hurt me.  When I look at Maya I just want to squish her into me.  When people question my "mother-ness" I want to punch them in the throat.  
     In conclusion.  Dos Mamas=Equal Mom-ing in this casa


     

4 comments:

K J and the kids said...

What a great picture.
Very beautiful children.

In most cases I think that having two moms means an equal split.
I love that you want to punch people in the neck :)

This Mom said...

I just don't understand how you can have two parents who don't share in the parenting. For that matter, how you can have two people in a couple without sharing in responsibilities. I get that some people are better at some things than others, and in that case it should be split accordingly. Shell is better at doing laundry since she NEVER leaves the clothes in the dryer. I am better at loading the dishwasher because I can fit more than 3 bowls in the top rack. Do either of us particularly "like" these chores? NO, but we share the yucky stuff because it's fair. I just can't imagine doing all the kitchen and bathroom cleaning as well as the parenting simply because it's the "wife/mom" thing. NO WAY!

Kirsten said...

my brother is one of those dads who can't deal with all his kids at once. i hate it.
i love your sassy isa in the front row!

CJ said...

LOVE the picture and totally agree. Parenting with another woman is WAY more equal in SO many ways!