Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kona Weekend

This is my first time participating in Blogging for LGBT Families.  I'm excited and nervous.  :)  


This past weekend we flew to the Big Island.  My good friend(ex-roomate), who lives in Long Beach, was home to have her son's first luau.  First birthdays are HUGE in Hawaii.  Think quinceanera for babies.  :)  We left Saturday morning and came home Monday afternoon.  The flight is only 25 minutes long.  Great when traveling with a Maya.  haha


Saturday night was the party.  It was a lot of fun to see my two former roomies and have our kids play together.  We're old.








Sunday morning we got up with no alarm.  It was a beautiful thing.  We had breakfast and decided to drive to Volcano National Park.  It was awesome!!  We visited Kilauea Volcano, the steam vents and ventured through an amazing lava tube.  On the way back to Kona we stopped at the "southernmost bakery in the USA" for some sweetbread.  Delicious!  We ended the day with a microbrew at Kona Brewing Co. and a night swim in the pool.  It was a perfect perfect day.




Steam coming up from the ground!



Two volcanoes.  :)  

Kilauea





Inside the lava tube.



Random animals we saw along the way.


The next morning we ate at The Island Lava Java Bistro Grill.  FABULOUS!!  We ate outside right across the street from the beach.  There was a group of young twenty-somethings at the table next to us.  They were pretty typical looking, t-shirts, shorts, gauged ears, i.phones etc.  Then as their food arrived, they all joined hands and one of the women began to pray robustly.  :)

And for one millisecond I had a thought flash through my head.  What if one of them said something to me, about my family?  What would I do?  Would I go ballistic in front of my kids?  No.  What is something short and sweet that I could say that would get my point across without getting into a Bible war?  And I also thought, "I was one of you."  At one time I was the young twenty-something who loved God loudly and without shame.  I knew my verses, I could testify with the best of them.  I was a "good Christian" according to my Crusade/AinA/gospel choir peeps.  I was also A Gay.  *ooooooh*  And although I could reconcile my sexuality and my faith, others could not.  So I was ousted.  Because I was no longer a "good Christian".  Pretty sure I was still the same person.  :)

Yes people, that is what flashed through my odd little brain that morning during our beautiful breakfast. *grin*  There was no incident although I'm pretty sure they had an idea of our family make up.  And if they had any ill thoughts toward us, that's their own issue to take up with God.  All they were seeing was a family enjoying their eggs and chocolate chip pancakes.  Two moms and two happy, much loved girls.




3 comments:

K J and the kids said...

I have those same exact thoughts everytime someone starts commenting about aaaallll of my children when Jan's there.
It's always as if I'm bracing myself for the worst. We've been mostly lucky with only a few looks of disgust :)

Great pictures. Lesbian friends 1st birthday ? beautiful.

kirsten said...

it looks like you had an awesome time! I choose to live in hawaii now.

Stacy said...

KJ- Not lesbians, just a friend from college. :) I WISH we had lesbian friends here! *hint hint*

Kirsten- I believe that you should. See my above comment about having NO gay friends here. *sigh*

I welcome you all and will do your wedding ceremonies (Hawaiian style) for free. :)