Two moms. Two kids. Three generations living under one roof. Ai-yah.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Three & Four

#3-  A book you love.
#3b- Guilty pleasure.


#3a-  Just ONE book??  Impossible.  I'll do a list by category if I may.
      Favorite book from childhood-  Where the Red Fern Grows  by Wilson Rawls
      Favorite book by a Japanese author-  Blu's Hanging by Lois-Ann Yamanaka
      Favorite book by a Chinese author- The Joy Luck Club  by Amy Tan
      Favorite book by a Chicana author-  So Far From God  by Ana Castillo
      Favorite book by a Chicano author-  Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya
      Favorite sci-fi/fantasy-  A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle
      Favorite book by an African-Amer author-  The Color Purple  by Alice Walker
      Favorite book by a southern author-  Bastard Out of Carolina  by Dorothy Allison
      Favorite book by a Native-Amer author-  The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven  by Sherman Alexie
  
Okay, I think I'll restrain my self and stop there.  I heart books.

#3  Guilty pleasures
Something I really like to do is eat corn straight out of the can.  Delicious and you only have a spoon to wash.  Win.  Win.  :)


#4-  Bullet your whole day  

5:00-  my alarm "Hey Soul Sister" goes off.  It continues to go off for the next 50 minutes as I snooze and snooze until I am late.  
6:00-  Start waking up Isa.  Hopefully she's in a good mood.  At the same time Rebeca dresses a sleeping Maya. 
6:20ish-  Load up girls and off we go
7:20-  Arrive at school
8:00-4:00-  Hear a lot of tattling, bandage knees, have morning meeting, play outside, eat lunch, enjoy nap time, prep for the next day, plan lessons, staff meetings, hang out and chat with my pals, check facebook and blogger, put on bug spray and sunscreen, play outside and go home.  
4:00-4:15-  Attempt to wrangle the girls and get them into the car.    
 4:15-5:30-  Drive home.  We go home past this

so it's pretty relaxing.  
5:30-6:15-  Dinner
6:15- 6:40-  Wash dishes and put stuff away
6:40-7:00-  Bathe the hoodlums
7:00-7:30-  Either "theater night" or "library night".  The girls get to watch one show like "Max & Ruby" or "Dinosaur Train" or read a couple of books.  
7:30-  Bedtime for the sisters
7:30- 10:00-  Computer time, adult tv time, children shushing time, and get ready for the next day time.  
10:00- Fall into bed and am asleep in seconds  
So.  Very.  Thrilling.  

#4  Big surprise about parenthood.  
 What surprised me the most was probably how easy it was to lose the "couple" in this family.  The first 2 years of Isa was ALL about Isa.  We ceased to exist as individuals much less a couple.  It was a dark time.  

Pre-kids we always thought that we would totally recognize it if our relationship started to falter post-kids.  We didn't.  And by the time we did, we almost didn't care.  Almost.  Thankfully we got our shit together in time for Maya to be born.  

This time, we're much more aware of what could have been and we demand some alone time with one another.  So far, so good.  :)


3 comments:

Kirsten said...

reading is wonderful, no?
I do hate you for living in hawaii. but only cause I don't. :)

K J and the kids said...

I like your mostly tragic beautiful book list.
Color purple has to be my all time favorite book and movie. Ok, one of them.
Bastard out of carolina though. really ? That one is a lot like, A time to kill. I read it. loved it. it killed me. and I could never read it again. Or put it on my fav's...just for the disturbingness of it.
but I do love it.

Garden fresh peas in the pod.
OMG and they are just coming up here in Utah.
That takes canned corn and a spoon ANY DAY ! ;-)

my word ver on this post is wastraid !

This Mom said...

I love your book list. I love that you couldn't pick just one. I heart books in such a huge way, I totally get it. I'm loving your challenges. You rock at them girl!